Spottswoode is a family-owned 40-acre historic vineyard whose wine can be numbered amongst those of the world’s great wine estates. Purchased by Jack and Mary Novak in 1972, they released Spottswoode’s first Cabernet in 1982 100 years after the estate’s founding. This beautiful property has been farmed organically since 1985, producing some of Napa’s most elegant fruit and delighting us with some truly great Cabernets throughout the estate’s distinguished 30-year history. Spottswoode has been fortunate to see the winemaking baton pass seamlessly from one gifted winemaker to another during that time, starting with the great Tony Soter and now in the exceptionally capable and responsive hands of Aron Weinkauf. Creating wines which truly reflect their grape origin and fine tuning the elegant and well structured Spottswoode style.
Unfortunately, demand far outstrips supply. The production is small and availability is limited. There may be a glimmer of hope for Spottswoode’s myriad of fans when the slightly larger crops in upcoming vintages come on stream, but we regret for the time being that rationing is likely to continue.
“This is a wine of great classicism and quality with enormous ageing potential” Robert M. Parker, Jr.
Organic (since 1985)
|Wine||Grapetype(s)||Vine age||Soil type||Vineyard area|
|Sauvignon Blanc||Sauvignon Blanc||-||Alluvial, clay and loam||-|
|Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon||90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 2% Merlot||-||Alluvial, clay and loam||-|
|Spottswoode Estate Cabernet Sauvignon||86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot||Oldest vines planted in 1991||Alluvial, clay and loam||-|
Viticulture / Vinification
- The grapes are picked from a variety of vineyard plots from Napa Valley and Sonoma mountains.
- Élevage in 60% stainless steel barrels, 35% oak barrels (15% new) with the remaining 5% in concrete "cuves"
- Clonal selection - clone 1, clone 6, rauscedo 3, sauvignon Musqué
- Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
- Lyndenhurst is aged for 20 months in French oak barrels, 40% new
- Spottswoode is aged for 20 months in French oak barrels, 60% new
- Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans since 2006 vintage